Tuesday, April 02, 2019

Aware

Dani  #KILLTHISLOVE @pinkzukos
It’s and I wanna repeat things:
-Don’t support autism speaks
-Vaccines don’t cause autism
-Don’t use autism as an insult
-Don’t refer to us as the r word (or use it at all)
-Autism is a spectrum
-Treat us with respect and keep this energy ALL year


Ink MasterVerified account @inkmaster 1 hour ago
We're celebrating with this beautiful piece by

34 years. She has been caring for her son for 34 years. She came to the shelter three weeks ago. The shelter can be kind of loud at dinner time so he plugs his ears, a behavior that tipped me off that maybe, just maybe, her son is on the spectrum. I don't like that I can recognize these things, I would rather that I was wrong and he was just having an earache or something, but his mother confirmed it. He is on the autism spectrum.

Fashion Honors Autism @AutismHonors
It’s World Autism Awareness Day! Help us raise Autism awareness by posting a picture of you wearing blue to your Twitter with . Be sure to tag @fashionhonorsautism.

LosViLLe Africa @LosVilleAfrica
Don't try to fix us, we're not broken

He spoke once, but not anymore. His mother says that he lost whatever words he had a long time ago. Now he makes guttural sounds, and gestures with his hands wildly when he gets agitated. She wants to get her son into a workshop setting but once a special needs person becomes an adult, the options become limited. She loves her son. She accepts her son. But damn does she look tired all of the time.

Mia Siegert [semi-hiatus to write/make costumes] @MiaSiegert
It's . I want to apologize because in Jerkbait in one part I used "with autism" as a descriptor for a play rather than "autistic" because I didn't think about implications, ableism, etc. I'm *not* neurotypical, but that doesn't give me a pass. I'm sorry.

Eleanore Hutch @elehutch
Since it keeps popping up, think its good to state the correct terminology on . No one "suffers" from Autism, they are autistic/have autism. Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

ChikoritaCheezits (Birthday Tomorrow!) @ChikoritaCheez
Happy to everyone except Autism Speaks.

Mx. Amadi @amaditalks
On this be reminded that Autism Speaks is a genocidal hate group.

She isn't concerned with what people with too much time on their hands think of Autism Speaks. She doesn't care about Twitter and "people-first" language and what people consider a hate group which is really not; what she cares about is her son. Today on World Autism Awareness Day I tip the proverbial hat to her and her son and to all those who expend the little energy life has given them in caring for a child whose sufferings would make them cry, if they had the time in the day to cry.

(For privacy's sake I refrained from using the name of her and her son. I didn't refrain from using the names of those who made their Twitter rantings public in the first place.)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home