Thursday, November 17, 2005

Checking In

No, it's not December 1st, but I'm stopping by. The past couple of weeks have been pretty good. I've been diving into the Bible, and doing a lot more praying than I've done in a long time; my wife and I are getting along great, and I've been spending a lot more time playing with my kids. Life has been good.

I've been thinking a lot about what's been bothering me about blogging. I really do enjoy writing. Quite frankly, I think I'm actually good at it. I've been going over old entries in an attempt to put together a spiritual autobiography of sorts, and I've enjoyed reading what I've written. So what's the problem? The problem is that I like to read other blogs. And the majority of other blogs I've read take a snide, sarcastic, nasty tone to the subject at hand, and then ridicule those who disagree with them. They play to the crowd. They're taking on a persona instead of being real. And they get all the hits, all the readers. It's like watching the football player in high school who behaves like a real bast... err... "illegitimate child", but still gets all the girls. Meanwhile, behaving like a gentleman gets you nowhere.

I don't want to do that. I just can't. That's not me.

Another problem I've had is my topics. For the past several months I've recounted a journey which has led me right back where I started- the Roman Catholic Church. And I am not sorry that I made that choice. But the problem is that I felt like I could only write about Catholic things, as if nothing good could come out of Protestantism.

Again, that's just not me.

This morning I read two messages from the Life Study of Genesis by Witness Lee. Yesterday it was the Life Study of Philippians. The day before I poured over the Recovery Version of the Bible (quickly becoming my favorite), specifically the book of Galatians, with copious footnotes. It is changing my whole approach to reading the Bible. I want to encounter the living Lord of Whom the Book speaks.

I want to read Catholic apologetics works. I want to read the documents of Vatican II, and I will. What do I not want to do? I don't want to spend all my time amassing loads of facts. I've done that. I want to show starving people where they can find the bread. Heck, I want to find the bread. I don't want to win an argument anymore. I don't want notches on my spiritual belt.

That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, concerning the Word of life—the life was manifested, and we have seen, and bear witness, and declare to you that eternal life which was with the Father and was manifested to us—that which we have seen and heard we declare to you, that you also may have fellowship with us; and truly our fellowship is with the Father and with His Son Jesus Christ. And these things we write to you that your joy may be full. (1 John 1:1-5)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home