Thursday, May 25, 2006

Scott Hahn

I would like to start by apologizing. One, the last entry on the divinity of Jesus was woefully inadequate. Such a subject deserves more than what I gave it. Two, this series is taking longer than I thought it would. And three, I won't be finishing it...

... because I would like to encourage you to check out the work of Dr. Scott Hahn and his online course The Lamb's Supper: The Bible and The Mass. Scott Hahn is a Bible scholar, a professor, and someone who has the knack for communicating deep truths in an understandable way. In other words, he writes circles around me. Scott has already covered the ground that I've been attempting to walk, and it's probably better to hear from someone who knows what he's talking about.

3 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

You'll probably just label me one of those anti-Catholic bigoted Protestants but... I strongly urge you to tread carefully regarding studies by Scott Hahn. Yes.. he is very intelligent and quite knowledgeable regarding God's Word. However, he twists the Bible into saying things it does not say (i.e. Mariology, Eucharist, works, etc.).

1:51 PM  
Blogger The Man said...

You'll probably just label me one of those anti-Catholic bigoted Protestants...

Nope, I don't play that game.

I accept your exhortation. I've spent a good portion of my Christian life treading carefully; I don't take anyone's word on anything without checking it out first. And I feel that Scott Hahn has just as much right to call himself a Bible Christian as anyone.

This gets at the root of my problems with Christianity and specifically portion which wants everything to be Biblical. I agree- our beliefs should line up with the Word of God. But who decides which person is twisting and which person is cutting it straight? It never ends.

5:23 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

I understand your frustration at the schisms within Christianity. We are living in the last days and as we get nearer to the Lord's return more and more false prophets will arise to lead people away from God in a way that seems like they are actually walking towards him (JW, Mormomonism, Islam, various "christian" sects, etc.)

Please understand that I would never say a Catholic can't be saved or that only Protestants will be in heaven. There are many wolves in sheeps clothing both inside and outside of Christendom.

As I'm sure you know.. the Holy Spirit will illuminate for you the truth. To your point... humans will never end the debate on what is truth (until Jesus comes... then there will be no question). I was just adding my two cents based on how I feel He has been leading me in my studies over the past years.

8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home