Monday, February 06, 2006

All That You Can't Leave Behind

As usual, I'm up too stinking early. And as is my habit, the first thing I do is turn on the computer and start running through websites. Ebay- check. E-mail- check. Then the blogs. I check my own to see if anyone is reading- I see Winnisquam, Independence and Claremont, and I'm happy. Off to the others.

And this is where I begin. I'm not going to name the blog this time because I've critiqued him in the past and I don't want it to look like I'm picking on him. He did an article on Bono's speech at the National Prayer Breakfast, and how it was a big mistake, having a rock star at a prayer breakfast and all, and we don't even know if he's a Christian. I did a double take. We don't know if Bono's a Christian?

I think it was 25 years ago when I saw the movie Teachers. At one point in this movie the teacher's union was fighting for an extra two minutes of break time, or time at the beginning of the day. Later in the movie Nick Nolte's job was on the line, and because of various situations the union wasn't defending him. He shouted, "Are those two minutes all we have left to fight for?" A great line which I've used frequently.

Have we lost legit causes to fight for, that we have to keep the topic of Bono's salvation alive? (And the real beef is usually with his politics, with concern for his salvation as a convenient front.). What's next, jokes about televangelists? That's so 80's, man. How about backwards masking. Remember that one? "Stairway To Heaven" says "Here's to my sweet Satan" and "Another One Bites The Dust" says "It's fun to smoke marijuana", all heard when you spin the record backwards with your finger. (Oh man, remember LPs?) It might even be easier to do in the digital age. What would Mariah Carey say backwards? In either direction, crap is crap.

What do people know us for? I've spoken of my admiration for Witness Lee in the past, but one of my huge beefs with his posse is that they make big spiritual issues over things like celebrating Christmas or having different types of music in their meetings. When the final chapter is written about the Lord's Recovery, will they be thought of as dedicated Christians who loved the Lord, or will they be known in history as the church who didn't celebrate Christmas and sued everyone? Sadly, I fear the latter.

If Bono's salvation is an issue, God help us all when they get to mine. The world can't hold the volumes that could be written about my sin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home