Monday, October 03, 2005

A look at the bookshelf

My name is Sean, and I am a book junkie :) (Hi, Sean!) I have bookshelves full of books, I have books in the attic, books on the end table... I'm hopeless. And I hardly ever finish anything either. I scan the shelves for half an hour, grab one off, and then read a few pages. Next day I'm at it again. So let's stare over my shoulder as I go to the bookshelf and see what catches my eye.

Marcel Lefebvre by Bernard Tissier de Mallerais. The biography of the "renegade" Archbishop, founder of the Society of St. Pius X. I have to say that Archbishop LeFebvre, and by extension the Catholic Traditionalist "movement", has always fascinated me. Here's a man whose motivation for bucking the system was simply a love for souls and the desire to preserve Catholic tradition. In 1970, when the Society was founded, the potential for the destruction of the traditional liturgy and practices wasn't as apparent as it is now. Archbishop LeFebvre saw the future and recognized the need to take a stand. His stand eventually led to his excommunication when he consecrated four bishops against the requests of Rome not to do such a thing. Was he really excommunicated? Sorry, not going there. But I have the utmost respect for his stand.

Rome Sweet Home by Scott and Kimberly Hahn. Scott Hahn is the man, the posterboy for the modern Catholic apologetics movement (although Karl Keating's Catholicism and Fundamentalism came out first, before "The Tape" made Scott Hahn a household word). He teaches about the Bible, he emphasizes the Bible, he wants Catholics to read the Bible! I appreciate that. I'm tired of people on Catholic forums assuming that people who talk about Bible study frequently are closet Protestants. But that's another post.

Catholic Pentecostals by Kevin and Dorthy Ranaghan; As By A New Pentecost by Patti Gallagher Mansfield; The Spirit and The Church by Ralph Martin; On Fire With The Spirit by Fr. John Bertolucci. I'm not sure that any of these books are still in print (and in the case of Fr. Bertolucci's book, I doubt that it will ever be in print again). I lump them together because they all have to do with the Catholic Charismatic Renewal, along with a few others on my shelf. The charismatic renewal among Catholics seems to be on the wane, with more emphasis on apologetics these days, but in the late 60's and 70's the charismatic renewal had a large following and was renewing the lives of Catholics. It's fashionable to slam charismatics as being too Protestant. I won't be doing that.

And to show that not everything I own is Catholic- On Writing by Stephen King. Part autobiography and part writing handbook, this is a great read for a book that intends to teach me something :) I would love to do more writing, better writing, not just off the cuff blog writing; but as a fiction writer, I really suck. But I'm going to try.

More installments to come; I have over 500 books :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home