Tuesday, June 14, 2011

100 – Day of Fire S/T

Day of Fire’s lead singer, Josh Brown, formerly sang lead with the band Full Devil Jacket. After surviving a heroin overdose he made changes in his life, giving his life to Christ, and forming Day of Fire. Their debut album was released in 2004.

There are times when you just need something to express the cry of your heart.

I stumbled upon this album at a time when things were particularly difficult in life. My son had been diagnosed as autistic early in 2004, and my wife and I were still working out all of the nuances as to what that even meant. And then my two-year-old daughter was suspected of having developmental delays. We had wanted a large family, but now I wasn’t sure that I wanted to populate the special education services of the county. My beloved grandmother had passed away, and I was out of a job. The stress was wreaking havoc on my relationship with my wife. My marriage was circling the toilet bowl. And then the band Day of Fire entered my radar screen.

The song “Cornerstone”, the requisite power ballad off the album, spent a lot of time in heavy rotation on my computer and on several mix CD’s. I can remember driving to church, thinking that I didn’t even want to be making that drive, that me and Jesus needed to renegotiate our contract, and this song coming on. I’m a big fan of 90’s-era grunge and hard rock, and Day of Fire carries a definite Nirvana-Stone Temple Pilots vibe. Sometimes you need to rock hard and Day of Fire met that need for me in 2004 and 2005.

The song “Run”, from their second album Cut and Move, was the theme song for the WWE Pay-per-view event Unforgiven in 2006. They released one more album, Losing All, before going on indefinite hiatus. Josh Brown has done reunion shows with Full Devil Jacket and formed a new band, A New Rebel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home