Friday, September 09, 2005

Now you see, this is what I was talking about

James White published a small blurb on his blog talking about his Internet broadcast The Dividing Line. The headline- "God is sovereign in the natural realm." This is part of the description:
"Commented today on Katrina and the simple fact that if you believe the Bible and follow its teachings, things like Katrina cannot be sloughed off into the "it happens" category."

And that was the whole reason why I wrote what I did about the flood- quite a few people who believe the Bible and follow its teachings are doing that very thing, either "sloughing it off" as White puts it, or asking the tough questions that other bloggers have written off as "dumb and intemperate." It's obvious that James White believes that the flood was all part of God's master plan (by his use of the word "sovereign") and that real Bible believers shouldn't ask why. Well... I most certainly believe that every believer should ask why. I think God is tough enough to handle my questions and see me through to the other side of them, even when I don't see a way out and may not want to see a way out. And I think the world respects us more when we admit we don't have an answer, instead of trying to invent one. But I'm repeating myself.

A bigger issue, one which I've blogged about before, is this idea that if you believe the Bible, you have to believe certain things, when the guy across the street believes the Bible and believes opposite things. And the guy on the next block believes the Bible and holds to a third set of beliefs. If the Bible is that clear, how do good God-fearing people come to such opposite conclusions and say that they are merely following the Bible? Anyone care to step to the plate and answer that one? One rule- you have to do it without using the words dumb, stupid or intemperate. Those have already been used- I'm still picking pieces of those words out of the wounds in my back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home